Subject: Re: [Leica] ELCAN lenses
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:30:02 -0300

Pascal:

I was in my dealer last week and saw a small black box with a lens on it.
He said it was a gun camera from fighter aircraft and uses 16mm film
cartridges.  We have all seen the pictures from these in the documentaries
on TV.  He has some at home made by leitz.

These were a standard issue for the Nato palnes and were made under
contract to spec by various manufactures.  The one I saw was by Bell and
Howell, made in 1950's and was about the size of a carton of cigarettes.
On it was a four or five pin connector that supplied the pover to run it
and the tiggering signal from the guns.

The dealer got them from war surplus and says the film people buy them
every now and then.  They are cheap and usally used for the pictures of the
fall from  buildings.  You just load them up, turn them on and throw them
off the building, or other dangerous filming activities.  Probably the
first disposable camera.

Regards,

Robert