Subject: Re: [Leica] light meters
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:45:08 -0300

At 11 Jul 1998 10:10:12 EDT, dick gladden <Bcde210@aol.com> wrote:

> Any advice out there for a small, cheap, pocketable light meter?

Yet another voice suggesting the Sekonic 308B...

My post on this meter to a photo.net thread may be accessible via:

    http://db.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0009R8

(I'm still not sure whether that's a reliable, reusable URL above.)

My only quibbles with this puppy (anyone know of a meter with the 308's
advantages which would be more to my taste on these minor issues?):

 - When they were making it more compact than its siblings, they left out the
   separate, always-visible ISO display.  You have to push a button to confirm
   which ISO the meter's set for.

 - I'd prefer an even faster turn-on time (I often use the meter in
   whip-out-of-pocket, turn-on, read, turn-off, back-in-pocket mode.)
   The short turn-on time while the battery check is visible can seem
   interminable when I'm particularly impatient.

 - Does there exist a meter which has an `aperture-preferred' mode?  I often
   have an aperture in mind and would like the meter just to tell me what
   shutter speed is appropriate, but with this meter one has to take a
   reading then either do some mental arithmetic or click shutter speeds up or
   down.

   Clearly this particular phenomenon is not a concern with a good ol' analog
   meter...

 -Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>