Subject: [Leica] M5 likes
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:02:00 +0000

capitaine francky wrote:

>I recently buy a black M5 in mint condition and the 35/2 summicron m
>(black). I heard someones likes or dislikes M5... Too big, strange
>design, heavier than others M'...
>I like him, i like is meter ( very spot, more than M6 ).
>Please, tell me what you think about it ... thanks...
>
>sorry for my "bad" english, i'm French ("world soccer
>champion"....wwooooooooo)

Dear Capitaine,

I'm sure your english is better than my french, so I won't try to write
this in your mother tongue...
I always enjoyed the time I had an M5, the extra bulk wasn't anything I
worried about, it still fitted into my case and though I had to have my
Visoflex adapted to work, it was no problem at all (Leica still offer
this service by the way).
I was sad that my Leitz cassettes wouldn't work inside it, but I liked
the cost, which was half of what an M6 would have cost at the time; when
I had the M5 stolen though, I bought an M6 as a replacement as the M5 is
less easy to get repaired.
I'm sure you will enjoy it, it is a fine camera.

Finally, I watched the soccer World Cup Final, which as you know is truly
international - unlike the 'World' Series (is that baseball or American
football?) with a French student staying with us, we both enjoyed the
French victoire tremendously.
C'est superbe!

Jem