Subject: Re: [Leica] Help! Fogged film
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:02:35 -0500

At 11:12 AM 7/20/98 -0300, you wrote:

>For future reference, the easiest way to test a fixer is to drop the leader
>cut off the film into some and see how long it takes to clear the film.
>Time this, then the proper fixing time is twice the time it takes to clear
>the film.

In addition:

I prefer rapid fixer without the hardener, which makes washing much less
efficient. Today's films are hardened enough as it is, so leave out the
sufuric acid (hardener). The other benefit of rapid fixer is it's liquid,
thus easier to mix.

And don't be fooled by TMax film's red color after fixing. It's not what
you might think. It's the red sensitizing dye and it washes out. But make
sure you wash for at least 5 minutes in a high efficiency washer (speed,
not saving water) and the red color will go away. I was a beta tester of
TMax 400 and love it! But it takes a lot more care than Tri-X and some
other films to properly process.

And when fixing gets longer than 5 minutes, it's time to get new (rapid)
fixer.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO