Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo whores {was Life magazine} vs word herders
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 22:33:13 -0500

At 04:34 PM 7/20/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Photographers, used to thinking in terms of  bold action photos captured at
>crucial moments, are enjoying the luxury of of taking the time to create /
>or stage attractive photo illustrations for feature sections. They are also
>being called upon to capture  scenes as visual  backgrounds for
>informational graphics.

Though I see this as something that can be useful to providing information
to the readers, it's also a trend away from real journalism with impact
(writing and photography). Often they are throwing graphics at subjects
that don't necessarily call for it. I've heard it called the principle of
the instrument. Give a child a hammer and everything they encounter
requires hammering.

Good editors know when to use text, graphics, charts, illustrations, and
when to use photojournalism. It's the story that counts, not the form.
Whatever serves the purpose.

And most photojournalists I know would prefer never to have to stage a
photo for illustration. Let alone know they'd be fired for staging a news
photo. It's not a luxury, it's laziness on editor's parts for not giving
photographers the time to find a good documentary photo of the subject. Of
course some things are better done with an illustration. No doubt about it.
Time is precious, and with pressure from non-editorial staff (i.e. bean
counters) to cut costs, illustrations become the fast, cheap, easy way to
not do it right.

Wired magazine is the perfect example of what's wrong with today's design.
The word that comes to mind is razzmatazz. Too much of... too little
substance.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Calvin:  People always make the mistake of thinking art is created for them.
But really, art is a private language for sophisticates to congratulate
themselves on their superiority to the rest of the world.  As my Artist's
Statement explains, my work