Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo whores {was Life magazine} vs word herders
From: merc@.olemiss.edu
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:34:21 -0500

>At 07:41 7/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>That is what's wrong with the publishing industry. Attitudes that don't
>understand the power of photography. We fight it every day, in a world of
>non-visual professionals. They put down the power of photography, because
>there's nothing they can do that can match it - when it's done right.

>Eric Welch

The increasing use of visuals has put new demands on nearly everyone in the
newsroom. And everyone  in the newsroom ­­reporter,  photographer,  artist
and editor­­is getting involved in the visiual editing process. Like
photographers artists also are becoming visual reporters who often go on
assignment to create an informational graphic or illustration for a major
news event.

Photographers, used to thinking in terms of  bold action photos captured at
crucial moments, are enjoying the luxury of of taking the time to create /
or stage attractive photo illustrations for feature sections. They are also
being called upon to capture  scenes as visual  backgrounds for
informational graphics.

Kirk Turk, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor of Journalism
Mississippi Valley State University