Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic - Point of Comparison
From: Ben <longjohn@netvigator.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:20:13 +0800

Sorry for being off-topic myself.

I'm  an audio freak.  Thus I strongly believe that $800 power cord is justifiable
as long as all other components are up to the standard.  However, I do think that
what happens in the audio industry is also happening in the photo world.

In the past, maybe 5-10 years ago, the quality between the state-of-art US$10000
per piece audio equipment can easily blow the mid-price $2000 equipment away.
However, the mid-price epuipment has improved greatly and the margin is getting
smaller and smaller.

Think the same case is happening to photo gear.  In the past, japanese lens and
cameras are much inferior to the most exotic brands such as Leica.  However, the
margin is now getting closer and closer (some lens may even match up to them if
not better).  In addition, although I still have negative feelings about some
popular japanese brand, I must admit that they have put in much effort in
technological advancement.  Look at the Leica R-series, I think their progress is
very slow. (Not talking about AF, but things like shutter speed, flash speed...)

Sometimes, I get a bit fed up when looking at Leica's accessories and lens price.
I think I will get rid of my current Leica gears sooner or later.  Perhaps, I am
just not up to Leica's customer $$$ standard.

Just sharing my opinion.  : )

Ben

BTW, audio research is good but not good enough to be the audio standard for all
"competently designed amp". 8P