Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: camera for $300
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@jnlcom.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:53:54 -0500

Quite right, Duane.  I have and F1n (it was the first camera I used as a
news photographer and held onto it for setimental reasons) with the canon
50 1.4 lens mounted on it that I keep loaded with B&W for shots of my
daughter around the house.  The photos are superb, the lens is very nice
and considering it cost $65.00 in mint condition its cost performance
ratio is hard to beat.

Leica glass is awesome, but for a starter kit Canon is hard to beat.
Nikon would be nice also if everything wasn't backwards.  ;)

BIRKEY, DUANE wrote

>I think you could find  a Canon ftb, or ftbn with a 50,  and probably a
>28 f/2.8 and 135 f/2.8 for that amount  quite easily.
>
>IMHO It would give you a whole lot more range photographically speaking
>than a R4SP body and a 50mm.  And quite frankly I'd rather have 3 lenses
>that perform very well for 99% of all applications than 1 lens, even if
>it is a  Leica one.
>
>Leica lens quality doesn't really improve a mediocre subject choice or
>bad use of lighting or plain bad technique.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto