Subject: [Leica] Hassie XPAN
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:24:00 +0000

A couple of thoughts,

Kenneth Johansson is the photographer credited with the picture in the
web article, is he known to anyone on any of the lists? His experiences
would certainly be interesting.

Fuji's history extends back to an interchangeable lens 6x9 rangefinder
camera, the G690. This had lenses from 65mm (F8 I believe) through 100,
150, to 180mm. The fastest lens was F3.5 (I think) so fast lenses aren't
the order of the day in Fuji's experience. The coverage required is
equivalent to 2 1/4 square format and the normal 'fast' lens there is
f2.8, though some really fast  lenses hit F2 I believe, so really the f4
max. is almost there, keeping the size small enough not to unbalance the
camera perhaps? Either way, it leaves a convincing argument for Leicas
maintaining their crown in the rangefinder hierarchy.

If the price of under œ1000(UKP) with lens materialises then that's
certainly hitting the price spot where it will hurt, but to take on Leica
in this area (and Hasselblad have the name to do it) they would need to
increase the lens repertoire yet their singular distinguishing feature of
the panoramic format prevents this from being easily possible. My
suspicion therefore is that this will remain a strangely unique camera,
trying to be a hybrid without mastering either discipline.

True seekers of 45mm (or 90mm) panoramic shots can crop them from their
ordinary Hasselblad negs far cheaper than buying this new camera, those
wanting a 35mm Hasselblad named rangefinder alternative to Leica will not
seem content with a two lens system. Unless the lens mount is Leica M
based (the only rangefinder coupled lens system) then there is no room
for expansion (by the photographer), and if s/he does expand (their
system), it would not provide panoramic potential.

I cannot see a great future for this camera.

Jem