Subject: Re: [Leica] THIEVES AND LEICAS
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@jnlcom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:45:01 -0500

Marc James Small wrote

>I will not dispute the possible existence of a street hoodlum SOMEWHERE in
>the world who would recognize a Leica.  I will argue, most vehemently,
>that, at least in the US, such fellows are simply too ill-educated and
>"culturally deprived" to know squat about camera gear.

It has been my experience that the vast majority of the pople I
photograph and meet while photographing something somewhere think I am
using some strange off brand camera, esp when shooting the R gear.  Only
once in the past month has a non-photographer recoginized my Leicas for
what they are.  I was photographing a specialty toy store owned by my
neighbor (which if you are ever in Nashville and need toys for your kids
this is THE place to shop.).  The store is located in the dead center of
one of the most expensive suburbs of Nashville, Belle Meade, and has a
very high end clientelle.  The lady, mother of a 3 year old who was
playing with my 2 year old daughter asked who I was photographing for,
and said cool cameras don't see those too often.

Of course, since she recognized what my Leica's were I was immediatly
afraid she was going to hit me over the head with a beanie baby, grab my
cameras and run up the isle with the toy guns and hold my R6 and M6
hostage.  :)

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto