Subject: [Leica] Capa was no coward!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:06:23 -0400

At 03:39 PM 7/27/98 EDT, the anonymous Richard wrote:
>I've read that Capa only stayed 90 minutes before fear took over and he went
>back to the ships.  Imagine the poor GI's who didn't have that choice!

Bunk, sir.  Capa was, if anything, of foolhardy courage, and his entire
combat experience (Spanish Civil War, the Second World War, Korea, and
French Indo-China) is sprinkled with examples of great bravery under fire.

However, he WAS under severe pressure to get his film back to the UK
posthaste, and had to return to the ship to ensure that his cameras were
unloaded and the film sent back to England.  (And, of course, the 35mm film
was improperly souped, though his Rolleiflex MF exposures of the approach
were properly developed.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!