Subject: RE: [Leica] Capa was no coward!
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:40:46 -0400

Subject: [Leica] Capa was no coward!

At 03:39 PM 7/27/98 EDT, the anonymous Richard wrote:
>I've read that Capa only stayed 90 minutes before fear took over and he
went
>back to the ships.  Imagine the poor GI's who didn't have that choice!

Bunk, sir.  Capa was, if anything, of foolhardy courage,

REPLY:

Perhaps we're veering a bit off track here. The original post had nothing to
do with whether Capa was a coward. Rather, it noted that the horrifically
realistic D-Day sequence in the new Spielberg film, Saving Private Ryan,
makes one wonder that anyone could have shot anything under those terrifying
and physically appalling conditions. A photographer's decision to return to
a ship after 30 minutes of shooting, or 30 seconds for that matter, might be
viewed as an act of sanity, rather than as an act of cowardice.

B. D.