Subject: [Leica] Mini Lenspen
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:18:32 -0600

Following last month's difficulties with my inadequate travel-sized lens
cleaning kit, I am currently trying out the Photoco Mini Lenspen, a device
the size of a rollerball pen, with retractable brush on one end, and
(normally capped) felt-lined concave rubber tip on the other end. It looks
sort of like a suction cup. The big appeal is that this is small and fully
self-contained. Mike's Camera in Boulder has it for under $10.

Impression thus far is that it's good! Despite initial aprehensions of
dry-cleaning the lenses, it seems to all but glide over the glass, and makes
short work of most spotting caused by raindrops or yes, an overeager puff of
breath :-) Wiped across my fingernail, the treated tip left black marks
behind, but I wasn't aware of it leaving any film behind on the glass. Looks
to be perfect for keeping those optics spotless when operating in
sub-optimal conditions.

There is a larger version of this device, but the ones I've seen appear to
lack the cap for the cleaning tip, and if my experience is any indication,
that's a really bad idea, as it's probably going to stain one's camera bag,
and may contaminate the tip.