Subject: re: [Leica] Minilux zoom vs Z2X
From: JPMccormac@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 15:23:15 EDT

<< Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
 Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 00:30:42
 Subject: [Leica] Minilux zoom vs Z2X

 I was looking at the leaflet for the Z2X and I just realised- the
 specification is very similar to the Minilux Zoom. Both have program
 exposure only, both have a 35-70 Vario Elmar, and both have +/- 2 stops
 exposure compensation, a "B" setting and provision for remote electric
 release. The Minilux Zomm also has, as far as I can see, manual scale
 focusing, and a slightly faster lens, and the ability to use an external
 flash, but nothing that puts it in the "Minilux class" for me, like
 aperture priority exposure. Strange spec, in a way. Now if it only had
 aperture priority exposure, I would be interested. Am I missing something
 important?

 Joe Berenbaum  >>

My impression of the Minilux Zoom is exactly the same.  I can't believe
there's no aperture priority mode or meaningful exposure information in the
viewfinder.  Has anyone used this camera yet or seen any reviews?  It appears
to be aimed at the well-healed but photographically naive buyer.  It appears
that Leica will be outdone again when/if the Contax TVS II and Hexar II appear
on the market.