Subject: Re: [Leica] Checking a tripod for resonance
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 19:18:14 -0700

From Ted Grant:
> Thanks Alan I needed someone else to say it before I did. Boy I'm glad
> there is someone else who thinks all this "vibration stuff is <<<
>              <<<" a little too anal>>>>
>
> I guess somewhere in the world this is a required excercise, but for the
> life of me I can't imagine when it matters diddly squat to someone using
> Leica, RF or SLR.

Actually, Ted, I wish I had done the water test last fall before taking my
280/4.5 Telyt on an SL up to document a monastery near Kodiak, Alaska.
Almost all of the daylight shots in shade where I was trying to get some
dof turned out blurred from resonant camera shake on a tripod. Most of the
shots were in the 1/4 to 1/30 second range.

As it turned out therefore, my 280 pictures weren't worth "diddly squat".
All tripod photos with the M6 were just fine, and some 280 handheld ones
were OK, too, shot at 1/500.

Fortunately, there were plenty of good shots to take to the St Paisius
Russian Orthodox Abbey near Santa Rosa, Calif last month and put on a slide
program, which was well received and a lot of fun.

Gary Todoroff