Subject: Re: [Leica] Inappropriate use of LUG for personal communications
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 12:28:34 +0900

Hi Joseph, welcome aboard!

You're likely to find that the LUG can be a chatty and personable
group.  Some can't stand it and leave; those that stay usually learn a
lot, much of it Leica-related.  The volume of communication can get
pretty fierce, though. =20

IMHO, the issue is not whether posts are "personal" but whether
they're on-topic.  Many of our posts are personal----we're often
addressing one individual with the knowledge that the group is
reading; we post to the group because we think the group will be
interested.  When the communication gets way off-topic, somebody
usually shouts, begs and/or pleads for the thread to go offline.
There are no LUG Police, but I think we police ourselves pretty well.

Dan's post to Tina consists mostly of comments regarding the
performance of certain Leica lenses, the suitability of certain Leica
lenses to particular subjects, and real-world useage of Leica cameras
and lenses.  This is the kind of stuff I want in my mailbox; it's why
I'm here.

When I first subscribed, there were a lot of threads between Marc
Small and the late Chris Fortunko regarding home-brewed b/w developer.
One could argue it really belonged in rec.darkroom.alchemy.whatever,
but it was here, nobody asked them to shut up, I saved the juicy
parts, and if I ever get around to mixing my own I have a couple of
good recipes stashed away.  Thanks to the LUG I know where the best
Leica dealers are in many cities in the world, I know a lot more about
film, digital imaging, tripods and heads, great sung and unsung
photographers, etc, etc.

We all use, abuse, coddle, fondle, buy, sell and exploit Leica
equipment in one way or another, and we all know about a lot of other
Leica-related and photo-related things as well.  If going off-topic
really bothers you, the LUG will likely drive you nuts!  But I'd
encourage you to stick around for a while.

Best Regards,

PB =20

On Tue, 04 Aug 1998 19:25:08 PDT, "Joseph Keene"
<leicajoe@hotmail.com> wrote:

>As a brand-new LUG subscriber I hate to start off with a complaint, but=20
>does anyone else share my view that it is inappropriate for personal=20
>messages like the below to be sent to the list, thereby cluttering all=20
>of our mailboxes? If so, perhaps the administrator could post a policy.=20
>At the very least people could think twice before hitting "reply".

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp