Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar-M tested by CDI
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 06:45:11 +0000

At 05:01 PM 5/8/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Certainly not my assessment of the mechanical finish(?) of the Tri-Elmar that
>I looked at.  The focusing mechanism felt like sand was stuck in it and the
>change of focal length had no affect on the viewfinder grids in my M6 .85.
>Sounds like Leica made sure CDI had a perfect example to test.   I would be
>curious to know others experience with the Tri-Elmar.

I tried out the lens at my local dealer and found that the 35mm setting
failed to bring out the appropriate frame line on the M6 in 50% of the time
that I tried.  On such occasions I would have to go back to the 50 mark and
then try again.  Sometime I would have to give it another slight twist
before the frame line appeared.  It also feels gritty.

I also found that the focus ring is rather inconvenent to grasp.  I often
grasp the tri-focal length ring by mistake. That can be frustrating in fast
shooting situations.

I would not like to buy this lens until improvements are made.

Dan K.