Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Photography
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 17:52:48 -0400

At 04:39 PM 8/6/98 -0300, you wrote:
>Tina:
>
>I have long had a question about photographers like yourself and street
>photographers as well.  Do you require model releases for these photographs
>of people that you take and later publish?  I have been a bit hesitant
>about taking people pictures with the expectation of entering them in photo
>contests or selling prints of them as I do not think it would be easy to
>get model releasese for all of them.

Robert -

You don't need a model release unless you are going to use the photographs
for advertising.  For editorial, educational, or exhibition purposes no
model release is necessary.  The only exception to this would be for
controversial subjects.  For example, if I published a photograph implying
that the subject was a drug user, I would need a model release.  Here in
the United States, when I photograph people receiving charity of some kind
(I take a lot of the photographs to raise money for ngo's), I always get a
model release just to be courteous to the people.  It's not strictly
required but it came in handy when the Meals on Wheels program published a
poster showing the mother of one of our prominent citizens receiving a
meal!  For photo contests or selling prints you do not need a model
release.  Go take those photos!

Leically,
Tina Manley, ASMP

<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>