Subject: Re: [Leica]New Leica List??
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 14:09:52 -0400

That was exactly my experience with the Photopro list.  I was on the list
no more than a day when someone asked a question about the orange mask in
colour negative films.  The moderator immediately replied that such a
question was inappropriate for the list (of course, he also made no attempt
to actually answer the question).  When someone else objected to this
reply, the moderator posted a general notice to the list warning that any
further comment on either the original question, or the moderator's
handling of it, would be subject to summary unsubscription.  Needless to
say, I was out of there that same day.

I currently subscribe to about ten photo related mailing lists (well, seems
like ten, probably fewer  ;-)) amounting to between 200 and 300 posts a
day.  With Eudora, I don't even bother checking the subject.  I open the
first new message, keeping my mouse pointer on the trash icon.  If the post
interests me, i read it, otherwise I click the mouse, and the next email
automatically opens.  I can go through hundreds of emails like this in very
short order.  I don't have to filter any of the messages ahead of time, but
some I will delete very quickly, only out of neccessity.

Dan C.

At 09:56 AM 09-08-98 -0700, Jim wrote:
>I have been a member of several "moderated" lists. I no longer belong to
>any moderated lists. It shouldn't be difficult to figure out why. I belong
>to three lists now, all unmoderated, and all extremely civil. LUG, BMW, and
>STOCKPHOTO. As far as I am concerned, the moderated groups are totally
>un-civil as the list takes on the personality of the moderator. In all
>cases, the moderator DICTATED the exact subject and content (read...
>thought process.)
[snip]