Subject: [Leica] Improving leica-made images
From: M3novie@webtv.net (Scott Green)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:30:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Roger!

Well,first, l'll second thenotion that you should learn to develop your
own films.  It truly is easy -- especially if you go "by the book' and
follow the manufacturers' directions.  And whoever you talked to at your
darkroom either didn't know her facts, or she left out that important
detail:  You _will_ get a bigger lump of grain.  No way around it,
unless you cut development.

When I was "darkroom deprived," I had a lab do my negs too.  They mostly
sucked; lousy contrast, so-so grain, etc.  I wanted to blame myself, but
then I realized that a lab is only gonna do it the rudimentary way, with
a "standard" developer (like HC110?) designed for large batches.  No
control at all toward what _you_ want.  I went to a swap meet and bought
a Paterson tank and found a dark closet.  Bam!  Much better.

The last thing I might point out (albeit as a greenhorn compared to
others here) is that the contrast of a print is definitely affected by
how much you enlarge it.  Beyond a certain point, you may find you need
to use a stronger filter/higher grade to get comparable results.  after
all, the bigger you make the print, the farther away the lens and light
source (and pattern) are, and the more the light coming outta there gets
diffused.

I use TriX a lot!  Usually at 320, but often at 250.  For the latter, I
knock off time (don't have the #s in front ofme).  On this note, ask
your lab what developer they're using.  Some just plain don't like
faster films.  I've found Rodinal to be fabulous for 100/25 Agfa, for
instance, but lousy for snappy clear negs with TriX or Delta 400.

I know, folks!  There I go spouting again!  Please correct me if I've
gotten something wrong 8-()  Hopefully before Rog' goes and makes things
worse.

Happy lumen-hunting!
Scott