Subject: Re: [Leica] Uncomfirmed Leica M7 Specs
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:43:32 +0900

Hi Jim,

It will be interesting to see what new body (if any!) Leica actually
does debut at Photokina, and what that new body would mean for the M6.
There are lots of folks (you and Ted, for sure, me on some but not all
days) who can't think of any "practical" improvements to the M6 that
wouldn't take away some other feature they cherish more.  There are
others who are attracted to the M-series but find it too spartan.
Leica has to navigate these waters, keeping sales of bodies brisk and
seducing more and more of us into continued spending on lenses. :-}

My preference would be to see something a bit less spartan that would,
even slightly, lower the M-system entry barrier, with continued
availability of the M6 we know and love.  I don' think I'd run out and
buy the new body myself---I'm thinking about how to swing a Tri-Elmar
purchase these days...But  I don't see anything but good things for
all of us if Leica can increase their user base a bit.  More money for
R&D, more improved and unique lenses, and a little more money for the
stockholders (in my view, we loyal users always come first!).  I guess
I won't be disappointed if Photokina brings a simple update of the
current body, though.

Another thing I'd like to see, by the way, would be an even more
compact body.  I had a couple of Minolta CLE bodies in the mid-80s,
and a Leica-M body about that size, more robust than the CLEs, would
help my M lenses get out of the house that much more often.

Regards,

PB

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998 21:57:27 -0700, Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> wrote:

[snipped here and there]
>I sold the M2 and bought an M6.  As a carry around,
>quick to use, well made, camera, this has got to be the ultimate.
>Especially with a 35/1.4 ASPH. I can photograph anything, anywhere,
>anytime.=20

>So I'm wondering... why would I want to regress toward automation when I
>came here to find a quick simple manual camera?  I like the M6 Classic =
just=20
>exactly how it is.  It is indeed, a great camera.

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp