Subject: [Leica] SS reels and tanks - question on JOBO processor
From: "Douglas McLernon" <Douglas.McLernon@tcd.ie>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 23:59:59 +0100

I use ss reels and either ss or plastic tanks. Marc is right the English
reels are worth the difference. SS reels are like riding a bicycle, once
learned never forgotten Use old film and practice in the light, the with
your eyes closed and THEN in the dark.

I still have a Kodak apron wrap tank (apparently still made) that I use to
introduce new photo enthusiasts to developing film.

Someone said that SS tanks transferred heat quicker than plastic. I think
not. SS is a very poor conductor of heat but very good at resisting
corrosion. That's why ss saucepans have copper or aluminum bottoms and the
very good ones have a inner core of copper or carbon steel, and the best
silver. (we're talking Leica type priced  saucepans here - cooking is
almost as expensive a hobby)

Second part concerns the manual Jobo processors for B&W, c-41 and E6. Since
the chemicals are changed by hand is there any real advantage over tanks in
a temp. controlled water bath?
Doug