Subject: [Leica] RE: Stainless vs plastic.
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 13:44:29 -0500

I started out using Patterson plastic tanks in College, I discovered a 8
reel tank that I though would be a great time saver.  It was wonderful
except that the bottom reels always seemed to be overdeveloped or had
streaking.  After it happened a couple of times I asked my Photography
mentor what I should do.....  He said get metal tanks.   When I looked at
a plastic reel I saw that the support pieces between the spirals are much
wider and more frequent than the metal ones and in theory at least
provide less even development.   The biggest problem with a 8 reel tank
is it takes too long to pour in chemistry.

I made the change and I've been using SS reels and tanks ever since.   I
can load them faster than most people can load plastic and I now use two
4 reel tanks to do my B&W.  The trick is curve the film slightly and to
do a slight push pull as you load the reel.  As long as the film slides
freely you know it's loading right.  You can also feel the sides of the
reel to see if it is loaded properly. if it is misloaded, you'll feel a
part that sticks up more.  Stainless tanks may leak a bit,  but that's
another good reason why we all wear plastic gloveswhen we are handling
chemistry...... Right  Luggers.....!!!

Jobo has some compact plastic tanks that work fairly well and are a bit
easier to use than the Patterson.   They require a lot less chemistry to
fill as well.  Which is the other main argument in my eyes against
plastic.

My photography students are all using plastic, just because it's a 3
month class and well most have never used a real camera, nor B&W  let
alone had to develope film and make prints.... they have a hard time

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador