Subject: Re: [Leica] London and Paris
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 06:40:33 +0200

Bill,

I am lucky enough to visit both of those great cities frequently, and I cannot
imagine walking around with so much weight. And walking is what you need to do.
I also think that most interesting photos in old cities like those are taken in
the narrow streets wide wide angle lenses, but of course I do not know your
style of photography. I suggest that you bring all your equipment, just in case
you run across some situation which really requires the 400mm reach, but leave
most of it at the hotel and walk around with a more manageable outfit.

Nathan

Bill Christensen wrote:

> Rather unexpectedly, I will play tourist in London and Paris later this
> month.  Is it worthwhile to lug the 280 f4 lens, plus the 1.4x, for a 400mm
> reach or will the 180 f2.8 (non-APO version) plus the 1.4x  (250mm reach) be
> adequate for longer shots?  We all face this classic dilemma - focal length
> flexibility vs. becoming a packhorse.
>
> Incidentally, airline restrictions for carry-on luggage (Leicas) differ
> greatly. Alitalia has an 11 pound weight limit vs. 70 lbs for American
> Airlines.  Out of curiosity, I weighed my R equipment in a backpack (minus
> the 560) this morning.  The scale read 23 lbs.  Who needs the health club!
>
> Beyond the obvious tourist attractions, are there any "can't miss" sights?
> Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
>
> Bill Christensen

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium