Subject: Re: [Leica] info needed;21mm lenses (brand-X)
From: Jose Menendez <jgarciamenendez@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 20:21:49 -0700 (PDT)

I bought recently a 21mm f2,8 Kovalux lens from Adorama and tested it
(in real picture taking situations, not on bench or with instruments)
against a Super Angulon 21mm f4 in my tripod mounted M6 and also on
hand.
I found the off brand lens superior on sharpness specially at the
corners wide open, better contrast and color saturation, and better
uniform ilumination across the field.
 Both were found equally excellent in other aspects as rectilinearity,
absence of deformation or distorsion.
The said lens is rangefinder coupled and comes in screw mount with an
M mount adapter, sunshade and a big round metal brillant viewfinder
that compares in brillance with the Leitz 21mm viewfinder but gives a
biger view, although of course is much bulquier.
It can be used with the M6 lightmeter but also with the M5 and the CL
giving on all of them correct light measurements.
In all at $ 600.-I found the lens a real bargain and an excellent
picture taking instrument that can be used with all rangefinder Leicas
screw or M mount.
The only pity is the absence of the red dot!
I made some Agfa 25 APX negatives on Rodinal taken at free hand, wide
open at 2,8 and 1/15s enlarged bigger than 50 x 60 cmts that I found
surprisingly sharp.
Jose