Subject: Re: [Leica] info needed;21mm lenses (brand-X)
From: j.leonarddesigner@videotron.ca (Jacques Leonard designer)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:51:13 -0500

>I would appreciate any field, user info (or otherwise) on 21mm lenses from
>Bower or Adorama....or any others out there.
>Thanks, David

David,
Two months ago I was asking a similar question and got great help from some
of our fellow luggers (Charles Dunlap,Jeremy Kime).
I finally made my choice for the 20mm,f5,6 Russar. I have been using it
since then, made b&w and color photos and I am very pleased with it. It is
a very fine lens for the price.
I got it from Woodmere Camera  (they advertise in Shutterbug every month).
I got great service from them, I recommend them to you.
The lens is not that expensive if you compare with Leica. I figure I would
not be using that lens so often so I didn't want to spend to much on it.
The price was US$449. with finder (well made). This lens is VERY small. The
size you want to put on a Leica!
It is a LTM lens so you have to buy an adaptor.
Go check Stephen Gandy site on this lens. It will convince you.
            http://www.cameraquest.com/russian.htm
If you want to see a picture of it, I found a site made by a Japanese user
of this lens. Go to:
            http:www.cosmonet.org/camera/russar_e.htm
There is some good info there also.
And if you want to see pictures taken with the lens, there is a fellow
lugger who has some on his site. Visit:
            http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~cmbrow/netherlands.html
There is a very good picture from Amsterdam if I remember well!

Hope this will help you!

Jacques Leonard, designer
j.leonarddesigner@videotron.ca