Subject: Re: [Leica] Favorite lenses!
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:29:42 -0400

Willie-
As for the different versions, you'd have to ask the resident guru, Marc; he
is a whiz on LTM and M lenses, and has probably forgotten more than I know
about R lenses!
As far as the difference between, the 90 Summicron, and the 135 Elmarit, I
would say that I tend to favor the 90. I had the 135 for almost 20 years,
and would hate to part with it as there are times when I use it, but for
portraits, the 90 is long enough to fill the frame with a face, and short
enough to allow you to back off some in a normal sized room. The aperture,
wide open, drops out the background beautifully, so I have gotten several
environmental portraits, no artificial background and I was really pleased.
The 90 also has just enough depth of field to make a face sharp. Very
pleasing color rendition  too. I think the ephemeral quality called 'bokeh'
comes into play here. the out of focus portions of the photo have a smooth
quality that doesn't draw your eye away from the subject!
Go for the 90 if you do people; for sports ( I used it for my sons' soccer
games) the 135 is super, not as heavy as the 180, so easier to handle in
fast moving situations
Good hunting!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com