Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilfochrome Question
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:07:24 -0700

> From: Tina Manley
> I use something called Minit Mask which is a piece of glass that darkens
with exposure to light.  You put the slide on the glass and flash it a few
times which creates a mask.

Hi Tina -

Where did you buy a Minit Mask? Sounds like a great way to experiment with
masking.

> Different films will require different filters in the enlarging head.
The
> Ilfochrome paper comes with suggested filters for different films, but it
> is a process of trial and error.

I found the Bob Mitchell "Colorbrator" listed for sale on the JOBO home
page. It really does help reduce the "trial and error" part of getting the
right filter pack.

Also I found the articles in "Photo Techniques" by Mitchell that are very
helpful: "All I Know About Color Printing Up To Now", Parts I thru IV in
Sep and Dec 1995 issues (then called "Darkroom and Creative Camera
Techniques"), Mar and Sep 1996 issues.

>  If you plan on doing a lot of Ilfochromes, you should look into the
Ilford
> CAP-40 processor.  It's a wonderful machine.

Amen to that! My CAP-40 is great. Only concern is that I must do a lot of
printing with the two liter P30 chemistry. It's good for the equivalent of
about 50 8x10's, but you had better do them within five or six days,
because the chemicals are oxidized by then.

Tina, have you ever tried draining partially used P30 chemistry from the
CAP40 and storing in air tight containers? Sometimes it would be nice to do
a few prints, then put things away until the next session without having to
mix fresh chemicals all over again.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree Lugger