Subject: Re: [Leica] new Asph 90
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 18:47:11 -0400

Martin wrote:

>I wasn't labelling it a "portrait lens", I was stating that most people
>seemed to report on the 90 Summicron's particular characteristics as
>very good for portraiture, and that *that* was what most people appeared
>to use this particular lens for.  Obviously a 90mm can be used for a
>great many subjects, in addition to which, there is another 90 in the
>Leica stable.

At the expense of being placed on the rack, hanged, drawn and quartered - -
One of the best lenses we owned in the '69-'73 time period was a Nikon 105
f2.5, which Pat and I used exclusively on a match-needle Nikkormat.  We
used it for everything - - -  portraits, landscapes, church interiors,
aerial shots - - - .

Since it was the only SLR lens that we owned (due to the rigors of cash
flow), we had to learn how to use it for everything we wanted to shoot.

We still had our IIIc; however, the SLR came in handy whenever we wanted to
take a "shoot everything" capability with us.

We learned - - early on - - that composition on the ground glass screen of
an SLR was different than composition through the viewfinder of a
rangefinder camera.  To quote an old friend:  "An SLR's wide-open lens
depth of field leads you to compose in mass. Due to the depth of field, a
rangefinder leads you to compose by line and form."  I guess we just
learned to compose everything using the f 2.5  DOF image on the screen.

Cheers - - -  and our Tele Elmarit 2.8 M now goes everywhere with us <grin>

George Berger
gberger@his.com