Subject: Re: [Leica] My personal Photokina evaluation
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:21:40 +0200

Pascal wrote :
And as I am hearing from an undisclosed source about serious internal
problems at Leica Solms, coupled with substantial operating losses, we
might expect something to happen in the not too-far-off future. I guess w=
might see Kyocera stepping in, and a scenario =E0 la Contax. It's not
something I would hope for, as I rather like the fact that Leica is still
European-owned, and would hate to pay those steep prices for something th=
at
is Japanese. But on the other hand, it might bring us closer to the day
when the R will have some form of electronically-aided manual focusing or
even full autofocus (although this will be difficult without rendering ou=
investments in R lenses obsolete, so Leica would have to go the Contax AX
way).

>And now, I put on my "flame-proof" vest and hide for a while...
>;-)
>
>Pascal
>Belgium

#######################
Reply : I don't see Kyocera buy a new "dancer". In french, une "danseuse"
(=3Ddancer) is a company which lost money but which is nevertheless bough=
t by
another company for an extra-financial reason : sentimental, familial,
political, etc.
Yashica was in bankrupcy when Kyocera bought it in 1983.
But Leica is not a japanese company ; Leica belongs to a swiss holding.

Dominique

BTW : Why "une danseuse" ? Because around 1900, french politicians in
Paris, far from their wives, had love affairs with "danseuses de french
can-can". We had had even a President of the french Republic, Felix Faure=
,
who died on a sofa in the arms of a "danseuse".Oh-la-la!=20