Subject: [Leica] Leica day
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 98 02:43:48 -0700

As I'm about to start 3 weeks of continuous work, I had a very relaxing
weekend. Yesterday we went for a picnic/walk into the hills of Blackwood,
near Ballarat, and today I spent the morning engrossed in spring flowers
with B/w film and the "lender" R8. Yes Leica Australia has come up with the
goods, and lent me a new R8 for the time it takes to get mine back from the
factory. Faith restored, and I intend to give this camera a good work out
in the estimated 8 weeks ;-)

In any case, I felt quite on "song" this morning, and the light was
fantastic. Then in the afternoon, we attended the Australian Chamber
Orchestra's concert of Mozart and Rossini arias, topped off with the 39th
symphony. Magic, and the applause recorded on the M6.

Thanks to Jim for the report on Photokina and the holiday. I agree with
almost all you have to say on the M6/equipment front, but I do not totally
agree with the old lens comments. It may not come out this way, but I think
Leica would be well served in making some "classic" lenes to accompany the
"classic" camera bodies they are continuing in production. It would be
quite good to have a choice of lens and a range that might be a "tad"
cheaper, without compromise [they would be real Leica lenes after all ]
This would only work, if it remains economic to produce smaller batches of
the lenes, which is another thing.

Plans for the London and Chicago meetings continue apace. I am looking
forward to meeting all those who can make it.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin,