Subject: [Leica] Lens choice
From: "Gib Robinson" <robinson@sfsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 05:03:34 -0700

I'm embarrassed to admit that my first posting to this list is about the
OTHER sort of Leica  -- the . . er. . . um . . . R Leica; but I have a
problem. I have a 2 1/2 year-old daughter. She's not the problem but she
loves birds and images of birds. That's a problem  because I don't own a
lens longer than 180mm (f/4). When I've had the good luck to photograph
birds who were willing to perch within 15 feet, she loved it. We've done
Mallards and seagulls, robins, bluejays, blackbirds, and occasionally other
birds who were careless and came within range. (Her favorite bird is a Great
Horned Owl but we haven't found a nest yet).

I want to extend the range of my lenses. I'm considering two options: buy a
400mm or 2X tele-extender. Which would you recommend? The 400 TELYT 6.8 is
likely to be a little more expensive than the 2X and I assume it would be
somewhat more stable with a shoulder stock and grip. Photographically I
assume the 400 might be somewhat better than the 2X, but I don't know.
Apparently the 2X (non-Apochromatic) was designed as a good match for the
f/4 180. What do you think? Which would you recommend.

Thanks very much.

Gib Robinson