Subject: [Leica] R6.2 Problem
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 09:59:51 -0700

My 3-month-old R6.2 seems to be behaving oddly and I wonder if any of you
can shed some light.

The problem relates to the auxiliary viewfinder light.  When the light
switch is on, the light stays on while the meter is active.  No problem
there.  When you switch the light off, the light does indeed stay off, but
comes back on at 1/15th or below.  Also, as you're turning the shutter speed
dial from 1/2000 down to 1/15th, the light flashes on briefly at each click
stop.

I assume this is not normal behavior, right?  If the camera is defective,
then my 12-month quality-control score for photo equipment is:

Leica:
Defective bodies (2 out of 3)
Defective Lenses (0 out of 6)
Defective Binoculars (1 out of 1)

Canon (FD and EOS over the last 15 years):
Defective bodies (0 out of 9)
Defective Lenses (0 out of 14)

At such high prices, I expect better from Leica.  I bought into Leica
because I wanted the most durable, dependable cameras available.  But the
Canons I've used for many years have proven to be ultimately more reliable.
Though we've retired them from service, our battered Canon FD-series bodies
and lenses still perform perfectly.

I enjoy the Leicas immensely for personal shooting, but I hesitate to trust
any of them for serious work after my recent experiences.

Jim Laurel
Business Development Manager
Microsoft Digital Television
jplaurel@microsoft.com