Subject: Re: [Leica] Production figures M6 .85/aspheric lenses/best lenses
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 11:03:11 EDT

A very good point I think.  I sold an incredibly sharp 85 1.8 Nikkor some
years back because it was terribly prone to flare whever a light source
came near the frame.  The 85 2.0 I replaced it with has never been
credited with having the same otherwordly sharpness as its predecessor,
but the overall track record for "keepers" is way up due to the flare
supression.  I have both earlier versions of the 90 Tele-Elmarit as well
as the latest 90 Elmarit-M...I can't say that either older lens is a
flarer, though, and I do shoot through filters most of the time, but
always use the hood.

Regards,
Nigel

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 06:38:52 +0100 "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
writes:
>Is the difference between different Leica lenses as close when
>considering
>flare? My experience is that (as Erwin says below) the small
>variations in
>contrast or lpm will not normally affect real pictures, but flare can
>can
>completely wreck one. I changed from a 90 tele elmarit for this reason
>few years back. I would really like to the best and worst Leica lenses
>for
>flare resistance.
>Mike

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]