Subject: Re: [Leica] MLU
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 20:36:36 EDT

It would not seem logical that if Nikon could eliminate mirror slap just
as effectively without  MLU, that they would have used the technology on
the n90 and not on the F5, which has MLU.  The n90 and n90s are admirably
damped (I have used them both for  high-magnification existing-light
macro) but MLU is still better.  The lowly FM2n (which seems to be
universally-despised on this board) has a MLU-of-sorts in that the mirror
goes up at the beginning of the delayed action, about 10 seconds prior to
the shutter release.  In my experience, the F3 (electronic shutter) has
the most pronounced mirror slap of  all current Nikons, much worse than
the FM2 (mechanical shutter).  Whether a body is electronic or mechanical
is beside the point...the mirror mechanisms are either well-damped or
they're not.  I would rate the R6.2 certainly no worse than the F, F2 or
F3 but well below the FM2/FE2, F4, F5 and most of the later "N" series
(comparing without using MLU).  It's nowhere near the ka-plunk of a
medium-format SLR.
>At 11:45 PM 10/7/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>
> So far now 2 people
>>have reported the R6 firing with such force that I'm reminded,
>perhaps
>>hysterically, of my school days using a Pentax 6x7. Aside from the
>R7, do
>>ALL R's have this fault? Again, I shoot table top with my N90 (no
>MLU) and
>>need only a good tripod and timer to produce, using exposures up to 3
>
>>seconds, sharp results.
>>
>>I have had several Nikons with MLU and never used it for long term
>exposure
>>stuff. Are Nikons ''better damped''?
>>
>>JG

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]