Subject: Re: [Leica] Electronic Flash maintenance answer
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:14:59 -0700

It's not the thyristor that needs exercising, it's the Electrolytic
Capacitors that need to be formed, and kept formed. They are formed by
charging them. A thyristor is a semiconductor (basically a transistor) and
doesn't change over time. Like the transistors in a transistor radio don't
go bad from non use.

An electronic flash should be fully charged BEFORE TURNING IT OFF. Many
people have a habit of flashing it before turning it off. Very bad
practice. Electrolytic Capacitors need a charge to remain formed. You
should store the flash charged. And you should periodically charge it and
fire it a few times as Greg said, using a minimum pop. The reason you
should use the smallest pop is because a flash that has been sitting, then
charged, then FULLY DISCHARGED INSTANTANEOUSLY (maximum pop) can deform the
capacitors too rapidly and cause early failure. The capacitors are the
vulnerable item in a flash unit. Long term discharged and/or fast charge
and full discharge after being discharged for a long period of time, are a
bad practice. After a long hiatus, charge and minimum pop discharge a few
times will condition the capacitors quickly. Then use normally.

Modern day electrolytic capacitors are much better than they were back when
I used to repair strobes and it would take a lot of abuse to really damage
them. However, by treating them correctly, you are insuring that they will
last a very long time.

Jim

At 09:27 AM 10/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Hey LUG,
>
>I use the the Metz 40 MZ-3 electronic flash on my R8 [to keep things on
>topic], but not very often.  In the cobwebby corners of my memory, I seem to
>recall the admonition of a strobe manufacturer about keeping electronic
>flashes healthy.  Was it with Vivitar's 283?  Anyway, there was a
>recommendation to occasionally fire the strobe at a white piece of paper at
>close range four or five times in quick succession in order to exercise the
>thyristor, if memory serves.
>
>Has flash technology marched on, or are there things one should do to
>maintain modern electronic flash units in good condition?
>
>Thanks, and enjoy the light [ambient or filled-in]!
>
>Greg Bicket

http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access