Subject: RE: [Leica] Academia and Leica
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:34:20 -0700

At 07:24 PM 10/12/98 -0400, Chandos wrote:

>I'm pretty happy with my G system RFs.  I'm not sure that I'd be willing to
>pay five K for one, though, which seems to be the direction Leica
>invariably takes.  Who else will charge $30 for a plastic rear element or
>body cap, $60 for a nylon strap, and the like?  Which I take to be
>principal point of the comment that provoked this distemper.
>
>Chandos

I think you know that I wasn't talking directly to you.

And working as a computer design consultant for the past 18 years, and now
with a state of the art digital camera electronics company, I can say that
the most un-informed lot of people we, here in Silicon Valley, have to deal
with, are first the professors at the local universities (Stanford and UC
Santa Cruz) and second, the students that these professors produce. And
this is *not* a broad sweeping statement. The fact is that the most
uninformed (they typically are one to two years behind the real technology)
people are from the universities. We just hired two grad students here. One
an imaging expert and the other a Verilog expert. They are both very good
at what they know, but are certainly lacking experience and indeed are
behind currently technology. But they are quick learners, we like their
style, they have team enthusiasm, they are bright, so we gave them a
chance. But they were smart enough to, while attending school, to do some
outside work in their field ,so they at least were somewhat tuned into the
real world.

So I was extrapolating that to other disciplines. And I'm sure it holds
true. Obviously not a blanket statement.

I know Steve Ciarcia from the old days of days of Byte and Circuit Cellar.
I still get CC. My partner here at Photo Access (I convinced him to join
us) is Art Sobel, who wrote the ARM articles over the past two years (four
articles I think), for the Circuit Cellar.

My sarcastic note was in response to someone who thinks if you are not
using a Deardorf and an M2, you are just not involved with real
photography. And that Leica should make M2's. All of which is bunk! And he
sounded to me like some of the people I have talked to from UCSC. Like they
are from some other planet. It's amazing how many people do not have an
inkling of an idea what is involved in sustaining a modern company. They
simply do not know. And in many cases, I believe, are incapable of knowing.

As far as $30 lens caps go, don't lose the one that came with your lens.
Also, there's tons of used stuff around. If Leica doesn't operate in a
manner you like, go somewhere else. And you obviously have. Ever buy a
simple part for the outside of your car? A plastic tail light for my GMC
van, 4"x6", single piece of plastic, $85. A plastic wheel cover for a VW
Vanagon... $112. A simple single piece of chrome, 18" long, along the door
glass on a VW Jetta, $150. A wheel for my BMW, $400. A sunroof rubber seal,
$195.

I don't think Leica is different than most other companies.

Chandos, you are obviously a very smart person, who would not rant and rave
about how nothing is better than the M2. If you thought that, you would at
least say "for me, the M2 is the ultimate and I cannot conceive of buying
an M6, or heaven forbid... an M7. But you people out there, do your own
thing." The attitude of "what I'm doing is the only way to do it" reminded
me of the university professors who believe they know all, when in reality,
at least in the really hi-tech world, they are pitifully behind.

No offense intended to you academicians out there that have an open mind
and keep abreast of current technology, business or other. And I believe
Leica is doing a reasonable job of maintaining their position.

Jim

PS... I had my distemper shot along with my dog, so I'm safe.
http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access
(650) 470-1132