Subject: Re: [Leica] Colour vs black and white
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:05:08 +0100

Urban Fredriksson wrote:

>and it's (to me at least) clear that some of them
>could only be in b&w and some only in colour.
>(And these latest ones are all "genuine" b&w (T400CN),
>not decided upon after scanning.)

But at least digital processing lets you have it both ways - you can always
convert to b&w from a colour neg or trannie. Unfortunately you can't go
from b&w to colour unless you're into Victorian-style colour tinting in
Photoshop.

Obviously b&w films have their own characteristics and feel, but I've
achieved pretty good results from 100 ASA colour neg film converted to b&w.
You've reminded me to try a few more when I'm next processing a suitable
subject.

Another digital advantage is, of course, that b&w files are much smaller
than their colour counterparts. Saves disk storage space, and makes for
swift loading on Web pages. In fact the pix at my home site (address below)
all load first in mono (very quick), and then in colour. In all cases it
was just a matter of converting the colour file to mono and saving it as a
JPEG in exactly the same size.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst