Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W again....
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:17:52 -0600

Actually, Francesco, a person could do E-6 processing with about $50 of
secondhand darkroom gear! Main diff between such a basic setup and a pricier
one including Jobo processor is consistency--a real diligent person with an
old Nikor tank might be able to achieve top results, but for lazy ones like
me, $500 worth of Jobo processor makes it almost automatic. I have thus far
used the Jobo only for b&w processing, and even here, am very pleased with
the consistency of results.

What I enjoy: You fire it up, walk away for an hour, and can be assured that
everything's up to proper temperature, save for those hot summer days.
Chemical useage is minimized, as is exposure to them via direct contact or
fumes. When using diluted Xtol developer, however, processing capacity is
kind of small--best you could do running the CPE-2 Plus at full capacity
would be just 3x rolls of 35mm film in a 1:1 solution or ONE at 1:3. I think
you could do 5x rolls of E6 at a time, fortunately.

I love the versatility of Jobo's 1500-series reels (35mm, 2x120, 220) but
don't like waiting for them to dry between reloads. I'll probably buy
extras, so that one set can be drying as another is in use. Can't match the
versatility with SS reels! I'd heartily recommend a Jobo #1520 processing
tank + extra reel--works great by itself, and won't be readily outgrown if
you buy a processor later.

I thought to do my b&w print processing with Jobo drums (even a set of 8x10
trays makes my workspace very crowded, to say nothing of the fumes)  but
found they are really best with RC paper, and in any event, also need to be
dried between runs. I anticipate moving to a Nova slot processor, which
sounds like a dream: 3-4x vertical trays occupying the space of one
conventional tray.

I'd like to replace my old GraLab timer with a chemical-proof digital unit
with metronome for precise repeatability (some print exposure tests involve
repeated 3-second exposures). For processing, I also use a Radio Shack
digital timer, but find it easily toppled, and worry about handling it with
wet fingers, but it's a heck of a deal, and I haven't broken it yet.

In a pinch, I've used soda bottles for my chemicals, and these have the
advantage of being very readily available, and are made of food grade HDPE.
Even the 1- and 2- liter sizes are perfect. Now if only Ting (a wonderful
Jamaican grapefruit soda, not to be mistaken for Tang, which is food only in
the looser sense of the word) came in 5-liter bottles, to accomodate Xtol!

I have one of those fancy changing bags which has an internal frame to keep
the bag's fabric off your work. I use a Photoflex, which folds into a
smallish disk, which makes for easy storage. Highly recommended, if you
don't have a truly dark darkroom.

I may eventually get a fancy LED safelight, but for now, I use the LED
lightbar used for automotive brake lights, and it doesn't seem to fog my
multigrade paper, even though red's not supposed to be the color to use.

Sorry if I've rambled some, but for me, the missing link in my photography
seemed to be a really firm grasp of the basic nature of the materials, and
the Jobo and other darkoom goodies have caused me to stop dreading the
darkroom--no small matter!

As for the printing side of things, I don't think you need to spend
thousands to do your Leica justice: I'm beginning to think that nothing can
overcome the need for skill. I am laboring over The Zone System in an
attempt to learn at an early age what some old-timers know by the seat of
their pants. Hate wasting materials in any event: I've seen clearcut forests
in British Columbia, and they are not pretty!

Jeff