Subject: Re: [Leica] mejac working again
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:47:23 -0600

Joe, for what it's worth, I have a newish Team Internet at the office. This
handy $2K device is an (Apache) webserver (admittedly, a slow one, even for
office use), email server and DHCP server. With a single phone line, it
provides 20+ people in the office with internet access, with decent
performance (but we're not talking streaming audio here). A look inside
revealed that it was nothing more than a '486 with 1G hard drive and Linux
OS. Real magic is that these folks have made system admin a snap--it's all
GUI'd, and accessed via a web browser!

But...the software isn't designed to be customized, and doesn't include
Majordomo, which really could stand to be GUI'd or something. I agree that
the docs are atrocious, containing a great deal of information, but
organized in such a way that finding the answer to fairly straightforward
questions may require wading through a lot of seemingly irrelevant junk.
This sort of problem is why I went with a prepackaged system like Team
Internet, rather than "rolling my own": It's nice to have a life sometimes
:-)

Jeff