Subject: [Leica] Leica R magazine, print frustration
From: "James Burris" <jabu@direct.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:25:03 -0800

Hello all!

I noticed in the latest Leica fotographie that there is a Leica R
soft-covered book coming out to complement the Leica M special edition that
came out  earlier.  I am referring the the "Leica Magic Moments" book that
covers 40 years of Leica M.  It appears that there will be a R version of
this book coming out with a picture of a black R8 on the front.  Has anyone
seen one of these for sale yet?

Also I thought print film was supposed to have amazing exposure latitude.  I
say that tongue in cheek, but over the last year I've had a hell of a time
getting nice prints done.  My slides consistently come back beautifully, but
prints are sharp, but often washed out color-wise.  I can only assume that I
must be over-exposing my print film but that seems strange considering my
slides almost always come back just the way I'd want. Very frustrating
indeed.  Is it plausible to assume that the print labs around town have set
their processing machines to slightly overexpose all the pictures in order
to help those with disposable cameras?  So far I've taken my print film to
all types of stores including photography stores and the results are almost
always the same.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

James Burris