Subject: Re: [Leica] darkroom demise
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:58:16 -0600

> If I could find an affordable
>scanner that would scan 35 & 2-1/4   negatives or transparencies and a printer
>that would provide quality high resolution prints I might just take the
>plunge.  The key word here is affordable.  Affordable would be $2000 tops for
>both pieces.  Of course, I am dreaming aren't I.

That is a long way off. We, who love photography for what it is (as well as
I do, or even more than as a job) will find compelling reasons to use film,
and traditional processes. Slides are great because you can have a show of
large pictures without paying for enlargement. Negative film is great
because it's forgiving and nowadays, with the right Photoshop technique,
can be just as brilliant as slides in print, and have a wider dynamic range
to boot. But the output sector is still out of reach. A fast, high quality
printer still costs at least $4-8,000 and the cheaper ones aren't as good,
or are very slow.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO