Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: LOCAL STORES
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:16:31 -0600

In speaking recently with the owner of my local Leica dealer in St.
Louis (from whom my first Leica was purchased in the mid 50s) I got the
impression that the current Leica pricing strategy pretty much
eliminates the volume purchasing advantage of a place like B&H, and that
this was put in place at the request (demand?) of the smaller Leica
dealers around the country to allow them to stay in business.  I think I
can buy new Leica items locally for the same price as most mail order
(Jim Kuehl and Don Chatterton do seem to advertise new in box bodies and
lenses below "standard" prices, though), at least on major items like a
body or lens.  On used stuff, of course, it's more a question of who has
what I want when I want it, and for used I've bought locally as well as
from Jim, Don, KEH and Del's, with complete satisfaction from all.  So
for me, the only attraction of mail order is availability, and I do
admit that on that score the larger dealers like Jim or Don usually have
much broader choices than the local store, good as it is.  I can't say I
feel like I'm not "supporting" my local store by buying elsewhere
something he doesn't have.

Of course, I may be misinformed on the Leica new pricing, and I'm sure
it doesn't hold true for N** or C*** or other stuff.  If we don't
support our local outlets when we can, we should not be surprised if
they disappear, as most of the guys who own them are working to make a
living, not just for their own entertainment.

Cheers,
Kip