Subject: [Leica] Kodak HIE and Leica lenses
From: "Jack F. Matlock" <jfmatlo@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 19:15:58 -0500

On October 28 Derek wrote:

"I've been experimenting with IR film lately, and have a
question
regarding IR focus in the lenses"

I, too, have started using HIE when I want special effects on
landscapes.  I have been using the 35 mm Summicron ASPH on an M6
and have had no trouble with the focus.  (Normally, I am focused
on infinity.)

I have used both the Leica IR filter (withdrawn, but available
used) and the Leica red filter with similar results.  My
experience has been that the film is a lot faster than the ASA
25 Kodak recommends.  In any event, it is imperative to bracket
exposures since the intensity of IR "light" does not vary
proportionately with visible light. My best negatives in bright
sunlight have been around 1/250 at f:11.  I develop in HC 110,
dilution B.

One thing to remember:  it is very important to follow the
instructions to load and unload the film in total darkness.  I
recently absent mindedly took the rewound cartridge out in
daylight and 4 frames were ruined.  If you are loading or
unloading the camera in the field, take along a changing bag.

Jack