Subject: [Leica] Photo Expo in NY
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 17:29:05 +1100

%%%%%%%%%%%%%
At 09:24 PM 1998-10-31 -0500, Akhil Lal wrote:

>The not so new 2.8 GX was a bitter disappointment. It has a plasticky
>appearance and seems to be mechanically simplified compared to the old F
>series.  I have never liked it and wonder how many have been sold. This
>camera needs to be rethought and upgraded if Rollei wishes it to survive.
>And why is a simple 2.8 GX more expensive than a 6000 outfit ?

Production of the 2.8GX ended in 1996 when the shutter supply ran out -- no
one will still supply a size 0 shutter in small quanitities.  Approximately
15,800 were built, all but the last 1,000 or so with Compur shutters;  the
last batch had Seiko shutters.

There are still some in stock and the supply is not expected to be
exhausted until 2000.  <sigh>  Yet another Y2K horror.

Marc,
I have just bought a 2.8GX, and I find the shutter has a "ping" that is a
bit "anti-Rollei", but the lens is soooooo beautiful, and the controls just
fall to hand. It is a beautiful camera, Urushi laquer, gold trim and snake
skin --- somehow they have made it look classy, not brassy, but that "ping"
- ------- I get it out later and send you the numbers ;-)

Cheers

Alastair Firkin,