Subject: [Leica] Talent
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:26:05 +1100

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I am not suggesting, as some responses have seemed to think I was, that
those of us without inborn talent can't become quite proficient at
photography and get enormous enjoyment out of it. All I'm suggesting is that
I think artistic talents of all kinds are in large part genetic - and, in
fact, most people who possess artistic talent in one area also possess it,
although they may not refine it, in another.

G'day... B. D.

This is close to my feelings. If you can see then you can "learn" to
photograph, but even if I can see, I would never be able to paint. This
does not mean that I belittle photography as an art, but rather I embrace
it as an art I may be able to really enjoy, and stretch what talent I may
have towards its limit. I live by the Ken Rosewall statement, when told by
an opponent that he'd been lucky as the ball scraped the net and fell in
- ----"Yes, and the more I practice, the luckier I seem to become :-)"

Alastair Firkin,