Subject: [Leica] R8 Winder battery consumption
From: "Greg Bicket" <GBicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 06:10:16 -0700

Hi Howard,

I don't know what kind of batteries you are using in your winder, but if
you're not using lithium, you might have a different experience with them.
Lithium batteries do poop out precipitously when they go, but they provide
months of steadfast and error-free service in my R8 winder, and have
recocked my shutter and yanked and  dozens of rolls of 36 exposure film
through my camera before giving up.  Frankly, I have been really quite
surprised at the battery life of my R8 winder.  This has included cool
weather service, but I have not yet used it in truly cold weather.  Leica
has introduced an additional winder battery pack, so it may be that this is
a temperature affected winder.

The one comment I have heard from another R8 user has indicated similar
results, but perhaps the LUG experience is different.  Based on my personal
experience, if your R8 winder is eating batteries in normal service, perhaps
you should have your winder checked.

Enjoy the light.

Greg Bicket