Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 11:00:09 -0800

At 09:14 AM 11/8/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I attended a Leica demo show of new bits and pieces in Vancouver this past
>two days. A first time for me as a "behind the counter exercise" answering
>questions from "drooling Leicaphiles! :)
>
>A most interesting excerise as I learned more than I gave in experience.:)
>
>The M6TTL? I realize there have been a number of posts on this camera and
>I've paid little or no attention, as I only saw it as a "ready made flash
>M6"
>
>Well some intersting notes you may or may not have known:
>
>1/ The reversed shutter speed dial direction:
>
>ted

Hi Ted,

Everyone is indeed aware of what is in and on the M6TTL. The two major
complaints were... If you own and use an M6, or a couple of M6's, and you
buy a new M6, say, to put a 90mm on (carrying two M6's, 35 and 90) you'll
be switching back and forth between two meter diode methods and two shutter
rotation directions. And since the camera "feels" the same in your hands,
your old M6 mind set will have to switch back and forth. If there was some
"tactile" difference, so that when holding it, your hands could "feel" a
difference, your subconscious mind could be easily trained to switch mental
modes when "picking up" the different cameras. Like when I pick up my Alpa
10d vs my R7, my mind instantly switches and I automatically, without
thinking, do the correct actions to use the meter, set aperture, set
shutter speed, take the picture, etc. Tactile feel sends very important
messages to your brain. It basically tells your brain how to
"automatically" deal with whatever it is that you are handling.

I know us LUG groupies like to complain, but as long as Leica is still in
business and making these wonderful gadgets, we'll all be happy. Most of my
ranting is basically aimed at those who do the designs, and for some
reason, don't really take it far enough. They leave "gotchas" which are a
pain, at first, to get used to. Like putting the focal length selector on
the Tri-Elmar BETWEEN the f/stop ring and focus ring.

Hell... if I buy a new M6, it may be an M6TTL.

Jim