Subject: [Leica] M6TTL
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 09:14:07 -0800

Hi folks,

I attended a Leica demo show of new bits and pieces in Vancouver this past
two days. A first time for me as a "behind the counter exercise" answering
questions from "drooling Leicaphiles! :)

A most interesting excerise as I learned more than I gave in experience.:)

The M6TTL? I realize there have been a number of posts on this camera and
I've paid little or no attention, as I only saw it as a "ready made flash
M6"

Well some intersting notes you may or may not have known:

1/ The reversed shutter speed dial direction:

The change was made to make the M6TTL compatible with the R8 in that the
shutter speed dials now work in unison, both going the same direction. It
allows those of us who use R and M cameras at the same time to have a
better concentration to camera handling.

It also meant that the shutter speed dial now works in relation to the
internal metering arrows allowing the shutter speed dial to be turned in
the direction of the red arrowheads in a similar manner as the aperture
ring.

Previously if exposure corrections were made through the shutter speed dial
you had to turn the shuuter dial reverse to the arrowheads.

Seems logical when one hears the reasons for the change. I handled the
camera a fair amount and really didn't find any confusion even after using
M cameras for many years. I know there were a number of negative comments
about this particular change earlier on the LUG. But quite frankly it
doesn't matter a hill of beans once you relate to the arrowheads in the
view finder.

And for all those folks who have a problem with turning off their present
M6 to save battery life, there is an "OFF" position on the dial. Now all of
those who can't remember to turn the present speed dial to "B" to turn it
off, lets hope you can remember to turn it to the "OFF!" when you put the
camera away. :)

2/ 2 mm higher.

This doesn't matter one iota when you pick-up the camera, as the body feels
exactly the same as any other M6. Unless you set an M6 and M6TTL right
beside each other you have no idea one is "slightly higher!"

Even when told this is a "larger body" I defy anyone to tell me they can
feel a difference.  Watched people go through this routine umpteen dozen
times with the same results. "Hey it doesn't feel any different!"

3/  Meter sensitivity:

The meter is 1 stop more sensitive to the regular M6. And the electronics
is a steal out of the R8. :)  How?  I don't have any idea, but it has
something to do with the flash metering sytem.

You lads may have already disussed this in the past, but it was all new to
me so I thought I'd pass it on.

During the same show I was presently surprised to meet a couple of LUGNUTS
purely by surprise due to they noticed my "LUG" soft release on the M6
hanging on my shoulder. Yep I carry an M6 all the time now as part of my
wardrobe, more so than ever before.

As this part of the country is waiting for the "BIG ONE!" A major earth
quake on the west coast of North America. In particular the Vancouver area
and Vancouver Island and I don't want to miss any picture opportunities. :)
Be prepared and ready with an extra roll of film in your pocket at all
times.

As far as can be determined at this moment the new M 90 will not be ready
until late spring '99 and if you believe that, the R8 motors will be ready
this week when the moon is blue cheese blue! :)

ted