Subject: Re: [Leica] Optic Names
From: AJSymi@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:36:30 EST

Ted wrote:

<< So I can never understand the so called "it's better made because it's made
 in Germany!" >>
- ---------------------------
Ted, I hear you on this one.  There might have been a time where the origin of
a product stood for something.  Nowadays, I find that hard to be true.  A
particular manufacturer has to be the origin of a good or bad reputation.  It
has worked for BMW and Mercedes...the vehicles that are made in the US sell
well, I think, in part because the companies have a name for quality (and
maybe being a multi-national conglomerate has something to do with it).  Leica
should be able to produce their equipment anywhere, and the faithful (us)
should trust that the products will always be of utmost quality.  However, not
every company can do this.  For instance, can a Swiss watch maker known for
Swiss craftmenship and "Swiss movement" produce his goods in any other place
but Switzerland??  Probably not!!  Leica has always been a boutique camera
company like many of the swiss watch makers.  Origin may be too deeply imbeded
in their history and marketing to change now.

Again, trying to figure the ways of the world!
Cheers,
Arturo